Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Consuming Thoughts.

I am sitting alone in my kitchen in the quiet because Camden and Carter are both napping. Its nice to be in peace, but my head keeps thinking too much. As a Mom, it is natural to worry..As a mom of a special needs child, I worry even more. Carter brings me so much joy..That child is so special to me. I can't even begin to tell you just how special. I wanted him, even when I knew that he was maybe going to have problems, I WANTED him. He is such a blessing in my life and he has a PURPOSE. Some people may think that he doesnt know much, or that he doesnt always walk well..but that is not the case. Carter, if you would get to know him, could teach you more about life than some college professor. Carter has taught me to open my heart up to others, to love more. I never thought that I was close minded before Carter, but looking back- I was. Carter has taught me to never give up, to keep trying, to fight. Things have not come easily for him, but hes never stayed down after falling- he gets right back up. His personality is, let me try. Let me do it- on my own. But dont get me wrong, if he needs help- he will ask. Carter can be very passionate with the things he loves, ie: cars, swimming, walking. I have noticed how he studies things..He probably has 50 hotwheels and 1/2 of them he seems to know what they are...corvette (he says corbette), trailblazer, toyota, cadillac, etc etc. He can count to 20, he knows his ABC's...lately I have been pointing to many many different things asking, "whats that?", and 9 times out of 10 he knows...My son is learning...My son is amazing me...He is doing SO much more than the doctors once told me he would do. He is walking, he is talking, he is learning. And hes doing all of this while going thru surgeries here and there..6 surgeries for a 3 year old might not be a record breaker, but its a lot still. Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum and Hydrocephalus might he what his diagnosis is, but its not who he is.

7 comments:

  1. LOVE this, Jessica!! What a great post. Have you checked out my blog (www.openbookgirls.com)? Could I interview you for the "Real Women" Wed sometime?? I have a list of questions... or we can rework them. Just let me know. I just think your story is so beautiful... God's done amazing things in your life - to Him be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica!
    thanks for sharing in that interview on openbookgirls.com. I enjoyed reading it and enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing that interview. I am truly encouraged by your strength during this time and I will deffinitely be praying for your family...and Carter is absolutely precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen honey, This is an amazing post. I've posted about Carter from time to time on my blog, would you mind if I just straight copy and pasted this one? It is just so true. Its from your heart and I can hear that in your writting. Tell my godson I love him!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there. A reader of mine sent me your way. It's taken me too long to come by, but yes, that reader was right. Your words resonate with me as a mother of a son, Asher, who has hydrocephalus. It's a totally different case, but there's a common bond, of course. Thank you for writing your heart openly about the love you have for your boy. It's so true. He is Carter, not a diagnosis. And he's here and he's here to teach more than to learn.

    Peace to you,
    Heather

    here's the link to posts about my Asher, if you're interested: http://www.extraordinary-ordinary.com/search/label/The%20Noggin
    You'd probably appreciate the one (from a while ago) "There's no such thing as a bad egg"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited various sites buut the audio quality for audio songs existing at this weeb page is really marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot on with this write-up, I honesgly think this site needs far more attention. I'll
    probably be returning too read through more, thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete