Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Medicine, Speech and School

I am writing today to update everyone on Carter's progress with his new medicine, Topamax. We just started on week 3 on Monday so there is another 1 1/2 weeks til all he takes is the Topamax. The nuerontin is slowly decreasing. I definitely think that the weaning is going pretty good, although he still has been occasionally having his pain cries. I hope that in a couple weeks time we can be rid of the pain cries altogether but who knows if that will happen. The medicine definitely has helped tho..Its hard to think back at what he was doing and how he was acting before we started on this medicine. I am so thankful that the Neuro-opthamologist is such a wise man to see the brain irritation that the other doctors didnt, or else we could be in the horrific situation still.
Only time will tell if this medicine will help Carter shed a few pounds or atleast stop gaining weight. I hope and pray he can shed a few pounds because that would definitely make it that much easier to walk full time and not resort to hands and knees crawling like he tends to do. I really have been trying to choose healthier snacks too for Carter to assist in the efforts...for example: Grapes, madarin oranges, applesauce, peaches and cream, etc..all in all more fruit.
The other news I want to report is that in November we set a speech goal of 100 new spontaneous sentences spoken by Carter in 1 years time, or this coming November..I am pleased to report that we today are at 98 sentences! He has really been generating some funny things lately and I couldnt be more pleased with this talking and comprehension of what he is saying..Just today we were walking by a house and a man was out in his garage hammering something and Carter says, "What's he doing?"..I Said hes hammering..lol. And then when we got home he went to the backyard and wanted to get in the pool (As always!)- which was empty (bugs!) and so he said, "Where's the water?"..too funny..I just love how the communication lines are opening up for Carter!!
School- I know that a while back I talked about home schooling Carter..well, the decision has been made...I am not going to homeschool him. I have decided that Carter will indeed be attending pre-school this fall for two mornings a week. The decision came after securing an aide for him. That was the big deciding factor, if he could get an aide-his own aide- I would feel much better about him going to preschool. And he will have one, I am so thankful for that.
Please be in prayer for Carter's medicine, his walking, his moods and his temperament towrads his brother. There are times when I feel like I have to keep both eyes on him when him and Cam play together because Carter likes to push and shove..And then the next minute he can be hugging and kissing him...I guess boys will be boys! Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Jessica - I loved reading this blog. It was neat to read about Carter's story and how much progress he's made. You probably don't know this but before coming here I did developmental neuroscience research so his story is very interesting to me. I will be teaching Neuroscience at BVU the fall of 2011. It would be great to be able to talk to my students about his story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muah love that little man! He is doing so well can't wait to see him this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya about watching the boys while they are playing. William and Adrian can play together so well sometimes, but other times I'll find William hitting, pulling, shoving, etc. You're right...boys will be boys!

    ReplyDelete