Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Could I do it?

So, a friend of mine home schools her little boy, whom just turned 5. She has been homeschooling him for the past year and was asking me questions about Carter yesterday. We talked about how Carter will be going to school this fall @ Sioux Central. She asked, "Will he have his own aide?"...my response...I dont think so..she voiced her concern on Carter getting knocked down and/or bullied at school..I myself have wondered about him falling and not getting all the help that he is going to need and also other kids teasing him. As a parent, there are lots of worries...and as Carter being my first born, and him being special..I have a HUGE concern. Becky S if you are reading this, I do wish you lived here or I lived there. I believe that Carter is going to need his own aide and wonder if the school/teachers even realize this. Carter still falls down, he has fluid on his head which I think messes with him..Also, he is not potty trained yet...He doesnt always listen. Which I know that there are other kids with no diagnosis that fall in these categories.
Brings me to the question...Could I/Should I homeschool my Carter? My friend thinks that he would get much more attention (which he needs)...much more help with things, and she also believes that I am more than qualified. Thanks for the boost of confidence, but I am not sure if I believe I am..She said, all parents feel that way at first. So, heavy on my heart is this topic. What is best for my Carter? No one else, just him. Whats best for him? Please pray on this..I want to know what are my rights as his mother on homeschooling. Stay tuned for what happens next! BTW, Carter is still only 3!

9 comments:

  1. I think that is a great idea...if you can do it, do it! That way you always know he's getting cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read your blog ;) And yes, I believe homeschooling- at least to start- could greatly benefit Carter. As long as you are structuring each day around some kind of learning schedule, he should do fine! If he gets sick or needs to go to Omaha, he won't fall as far behind as he would if he had to be pulled out of school. There are TONS of resources out there for you as well as the homeschooling community in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in the same boat Jess! Emma is at the catholic school so she wouldn't be even in the same school system. I really think it makes sense but our kids also need social interaction soo.... I'm trying to figure out too if there is a way to balance that well! I'll be reading to see what everyone's responses are! :)~Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky is right, there are tons of resources. Personally I think homeschooling at least the first few years of school is great. You can give your own kids a firm foundation both academically and personally (which includes the spiritual). Social interaction happens everywhere you go. Also, there are home school groups in many areas that meet on a regular basis for group activities. HOWEVER, that said, I really believe the biggest factor is YOU & CODY have to believe it is the best choice for your family. Otherwise, on the hard days, and there will be hard days you will question why you are doing this and won't have a good answer. That leads to poor teaching and/or quitting before you should. It is a big commitment. As you probably know, we did it but only for one year and only for one of our kids. At the time, she needed it, he didn't. They did have the advantage of a small church school for K-4th grades too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think home schooling is a great idea! You are an amazing mother and while the idea might be scary I think you will both excel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess,

    I understand the want to homeschool and protect Carter. I have also spent time in Preschools(as you know) and they are not as scary as you would think. :-) There are not 1:1 Aides for children, but the kids that need the extra attention, as Carter will, get it.

    As social as Carter is, I think he would be a favorite of both the teachers and his peers.

    I think he will do well either direction you go, as he is a sponge and ready to soak up anything that is offered to him.

    The other caveat in this is how the therapies (OT, PT, and ST) will be provided. You may have to take him to the school for those, depending on what the Educational Team (which you are a huge part of) decides and what is best for Carter. Also, if you decide to go School-based, it does not have to be full time. Especially when he is only 3.

    I will include you and Cody in my prayers and ask for His guidance as you make this decision.

    Dawn Fode

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a child in preschool, there is a lot that goes on and the teachers are very busy! It is not the teacher's fault! I know that the class sizes are going to be big next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Hon,

    As my mom said I was home schooled for one year and it was the best thing for me. One of the reasons I was, was because of these social interactions for me wern't plsent. My parents wanted me to be rooted in who I was before I started High School. Obviously pre-school is a whole different ballgame.

    Would he be going half days or whole? Could you get the best of both worlds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica,

    This is a topic that is very near and dear and emotional to my heart.

    I can relate so much to your feelings. I also have a son, Matthew, who has ACC. My concerns for him entering school due to his developmental delays and not walking or talking among many other things were HUGE. If you would like to know about our own experiences with:

    public school,

    private Christian school for a year (and how we still received public school therapies for Matthew that year),

    and our homeschooling...

    I would be happy to share them with you. And I would be very happy to listen to you and any concerns, questions, thoughts you may have if you feel comfortable sharing them. Please feel free to e-mail me anytime: hope@aracnet.com

    Please know that I am praying for you, Carter and your family and I know that God will give you wisdom and reveal what is best.

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete