Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Thursday, May 27, 2010

What a big boy!

Well..I have some good news to share..Carter has been sleeping in his own big boy bed since last saturday! Cody and I talked about switching rooms around in our house...We didnt have an ac unit for our upstairs because our central air doesnt seem to cool it up there like it should and so we hadnt really utilized our house to the fullest...well, now we are! Last saturday we switched rooms around...we brought the bunk beds that my parents got for Carter and Camden downstairs and took our bed upstairs! It was actually alot of work and was more like a 2 day process, but all worth it now! The hardest part was taking our armoire upstairs (just Cody and I)..I am not sure, b ut maybe because Carter is now sleeping in our old room he feels comfortable? Anyways, 3 out of 4 nights he slept completely sound..only woke up 1 of the nights and not for very long. It is so nice to be able to stretch out a little more in my own bed, you would be surpised at how much of a bed hog Carter can be! lol.
Anyways,everything is much more organized...Carter and Camden have their own rooms and mommy and daddy have our own space as well! I am actually loving it much more than I thought I would!!
Carter has been doing fairly well lately..He is amazing me at the new sentences he has been putting together..Yesterday morning he told Camden that he was making a mess..the other day he said "I hurt my toe, kiss it!"...In the bathroom he said to Camden "Get outta there Camden"...and also yesterday he said "Take the bags!" when we were leaving...like I have said before, the speech itself has been great, its the learning and comprehension that I am excited about...He will be in preschool in 3 months and I am excited and nervous at the same time! He has been proving to me though what a determined little fighter he is, both physically and mentally..Thank you Lord for such a persistant little man! I am sad to say that he had his last speech session with Wendy yesterday, which is because summer is here and he will get it in school this fall...We lost his PT, which makes me even more sad because Barb has had him since he was about a month old. :( His OT, Katie, whom he likes to flirt with is getting married and moving this summer, which I understand..and his teacher from the school never ever came and then I found out she quit...so I kinda feel like we are in limbo right now...I do work with Carter myself with all areas, but it is nice to have others here to help Carter along.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well, I know how you feel when the OT keeps switching it is nice to have them around you feel more secure about someone else being able to look at the accomplishments your little guy is doing, and how hard you have worked to get him to where he is today. I am glad he is sleeping in his own bed, and mommy and daddy have there own room, I wish I knew what that was like LOL Lee (my husband) and I are having difficulties with the oldest still wanting to sleep with us so it makes it hard for that alone time that you guys as a couple just need to take, and I am so glad that you are getting that alone time to yourselfs you need it every once in awhile. I am so glad he is doing better in speech doesn't it just make your heart melt when they can say something new, and if you have troubles with the first day of school, it will get better don't worry I have been there although Richard won't be going until April of 2011 so i don't have to worry about him yet, but that time will come, and the school's are really great at helping children like ours. Hope all is going well, and stays well, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, these are all wonderful things to hear! Go Carter! and yay for alone time together...It's definitely important to have that special time between you two to recharge. :) Love you all! ~Megs

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should just move closer then Carter and I can be buds- I got to work on speech therapy when I lived down in Texas and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to read about Carter's progress! I read those accomplishments with tears most times!! :) I know how incredibly huge those things are. (I admit I am slightly jealous!) Way to go Carter!! Praise God for our kids beating the odds and doing things that they weren't supposed to be able to do! Hugs, Angie Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great! I want to see pictures!I tried to call the other day you must have been busy I will try again!

    ReplyDelete