Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Learning Lots Right Side

Carter has really been learning so much lately...WOw does he amaze me lately. He is retaining what things are so much...He knows the words to so many songs, he has been walking so much now! And so much more steady than what he was before.
His swimming OT, Kari, said on Monday...that Carter is doing so well shes afraid she wont see him much longer...I told her I thought we could find things to 'work' on...But I gotta tell you as a mom how nice it is to hear that! I don't think Carter wants little brother Camden to pass him up so he has been working extra hard lately!
He was calling everything blue for a while...he now calls it either blue, green, or yellow! He can count to 14...He has been learning his ABC's (and is almost there!)...He is always singing the "5 Little Monkeys" song! Last night he was showing off for Grandma and Grandpa Struve by walking around the living room (back and forth, round and round!) while singing for them...He really was showing off!
He has had a fascination with being outside..Just this morning he said while getting out of bed " I wanna go outside!"...I head to tell him it was COLD and DARK and then change the subject!
Carter has been learning to go potty in the toilet since last monday also..so its been almost 10 days...He has been going for me lots...already 3 times today...I think it is saving on a few diapers too... I have to tehlp him button or snap (unsnap) and zip (unzip) his pants though...He may start getting more OT beings he still has trouble with turning lids or pulling off lids...opening drawers, etc...but this too doesnt worry me...I KNOW he will get there...He has been meeting his goals!

Also, I had him weighed at Child Health Specialty Clinic on Monday..he was 36.4 pounds...and so he has lost atleast 1.6 pounds ...I am happy about this..I really have been trying to feed him healthier! His sugars have been limited...More fruits, veggies, etc...The veggies sometimes have to be 'snuck' in...Anyways...He still has a few pounds that he could stand to drop...so I am going to keep helping him in the effort to revert the possible synthroid effects!
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thats my little man I can't wait to see him again. We need to work that out.
    ~Auntie Amber

    ReplyDelete