Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interesting turn of events...

Okay, I have always known that Carter is a little "chubby". I am not going to tell you I don't think hes chubby...I have always leaned on the fact that he hasn't grown very much height wise. Over the last year, he has only grown 1 1/2 inches...While other 2 year (almost 3) olds are around 36-38 inches tall, Carter is only 34 1/2 inches tall...Last September (a whole yr ago) he was 33 inches...That is not very much growth. I should mention that when Cdoy was 3 yrs old he was 38 1/4 inches and 35 pounds. Carter is 37-38 pds.
It seems he has a few things working against him as far as weight goes. #1. He is just starting to walk (and its only here and there, not fully)...so Cody believes that his metabolism isnt getting up there like the avg. 2 year old who is running around. #2. He hasnt grown any length wise. #3. He was put on synthroid by an Omaha Endocrinologist and now our new Sioux Falls endo. took him off, not sure he needs this medicine. Synthroid side effects include weight gain, I did my research.
We saw Barb Wilkerson yesterday and she is concerned that he has gained 7 pounds since January...Really that is ALOT for a 2 year old, about 1 pound a month. Cody and I dont believe that we overfeed him like some may think, but we have decided to NOT give him any sweets...Natural sweets are fine...but no cookies, bars, chocolate, etc. at ALL. He has been on skim milk for the last year also so we cant cut that back. So please people, family members esp., NO SWEETS FOR CARTER (kindly!)..
I dont want Carter at risk for obesity or diabetes, etc. Barb Wilkerson was going to fax Carters new endocrinologist Carters growth chart so he can see how his weight has dramatically increased...Maybe we will hear back and this will start growth hormone treatments? What do I know, it could happen?!
If its not one thing its another...this week started with Carter SHOULD have made it on to the BI waiver and now new concerns of weight...Please pray for Carter. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment