Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Thursday, September 10, 2009

After thoughts

It has been over a week now since we saw Dr. Wilkerson and the concern of his weight was raised. SInce this, Carter has dropped a pound or so. He was 38 lbs and I now have him weighing in at 36.5 pounds. My goal for Carter is 33 or even less. He is currently about at the 95% for weight and 3-4% for height. My goal would put him at around 65% if he can drop a few more pounds by November 20, his 3rd birthday. It probably needs to be gradual, obviously. Cody and I have really been limiting and watching what we give him. Chocolate milk (ovaltine) is now a "treat", not an everyday item that was occurring at times. I just want to have my Carter healthy. :)
Carter has been doing pretty well for Barb, his Physical Therapist lately. He showed off on Tuesday by sitting on the green ball, all by himself...and even bouncing on the ball and testing his own balance...he also did a little bit of walking for her. Its amazing how much better his balance has gotten lately. :)
Yesterday, Carters SLP (speech language) came and visited. Her name is Wendy and she only comes once or so every 2-3 months. Things went well with her visit considering she had a sheet and was giving Carter things to 'do'..to see if he understands,etc...to kind of evaluate where he is at and what things we need to work on. The main things we are going to work on is 'pointing'...asking Carter questions while looking at pictures or books and getting thought processes/functions more developed.
Yesterday we also had a respite representative come to the house and explain to me more in depth things regarding respite. It was a good meeting and I now have the forms to give to some choice ppl to watch Carter when I need help or time to do other things.
Today we get to stay home or possibly go get some groceries..I am just happy we have no appointments!

1 comment:

  1. Removing sugar from my diet was one of the best and hardest things I've ever done. But I do notice when I 'sneek' something in. I just has a single peppermint patty at work and my gut hurts :(

    ReplyDelete