Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Friday, August 14, 2009

Wow, what a night

Last night scared Cody and I just a bit..Carter fell and hit his head on the know of our end table..the blood was dripping down by his shunt, AHH! Once we calmed ourselves, we blotted it and found that the wound was above his ear and very small, not on or too close to his shunt like we were afraid of...Thank the Lord, boy was that scary!
Carter has discovered that he loves this cartoon or program called Sid the Science Kid...he has never really paid attention to anything on tv, except wanting music to play (Serious XM The Message!)..and so for him to sit down and watch the tv is a first for us...sure he has looked at the tv, but never sat and watched! I'm excited to maybe introduce some of the learning dvds I have now! This show features dancing which is why I think he watches, but is very informative..Yesterday they talked about the importance of brushing your teeth and today they are talking about exercising and eating healthy.. I am glad to see his attention span is there, as preschool is a year away! AHH! AEA has been wanting me to start Carter this January but Cody and I have decided given the circumstances we are waiting another full year, I mean he still wont even be 4 a year from now..I didnt start til I was 4 and I was walking, etc.!!!!!
We purchased a double stroller last night and are hoping we can get our single jogger sold. We like our jogger stroller so much that the new one we purchased is exactly like our old one, everything is the same except that its double! I am so excited as this will make me taking the kids for walks so much easier when Cody is working...One stroller to look after and Cody can still go for runs with Carter when he wants to. It is InStep brand and I recommend it! The dealer we bought it thru is actually the same dealer that we got our bike trailer from..
I should mention that Carter will be getting in to a different pediatric endocrinologist next thursday in sioux falls, I am switching! He had seen a doctor from Omaha but this doctor didnt work for us, the communication was hard and he was not proactive..Ugh! A friend from high school goes to this other doctor in sioux falls and highly recommends him. Carter has a thyroid issue, so he has been on synthroid since March. He didnt grow much the last year to year and a half and so they are monitoring him to make sure he doesnt have growth hormone deficiency. If he does then we will have to start a daily shot to get him to grow and keep up to his peers. I pray he doesnt have this as its an every day thing...but if he does then I do want to start treatment. Children with ACC are more prone to having issues of thyroid/growth because the pituitary gland is located right next to the corpus callosum and so if the corpus callosum is missing often the gland is not always functioning properly. Thyroid in our case though is hereditary as me, mom, sister, cousin, aunt all are on medicine for this.
More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment