Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When things seem bad...

I tell myself that they could always be worse...this morning I was in my room taking pictures of items to sell on EBAY and I come back into the living room to find Carter had Camdens mylacon bottle and was dipping it into my coffee and licking it off...Quite cute it was and I felt a relief..Thank the Lord there wasnt coffee spilled anywhere, just a few drips..It could have been worse! And yes, Carter likes coffee, he thinks that anything in a cup or mug is coffee! He says Nummy!
Right now at this point in time, I am really working on teaching Carter his colors and then also "who is this?", in pictures. I want him to be able to tell me all family members, that is my goal. So far he has Grandma Glenda and Camden down. As far as colors go, he really likes blue and calls most things blue if I ask him what color it is. Occasionally he says yellow or green....so we are really working on colors..I have to remind myself to be more descriptive for Carter's benefit. He is coming along with his speech, its really progressed...An example, "Do gan (Do it again)" he now says "Do Again", so that is good. "Love you" is now "I love you."and he can count all the way up to 14, sometimes higher.
His walking...I think its really progressing. I am the one that sees him the most and his abilities. He is trying alot more than he used to. He now walks short distances (5 feet or less) without blinking..he knows he can walk that far without problems..if he has further to go, he gets on his knees right away...sometimes he will start walking and then drop to his knees after maybe 10 steps. We can tell hes coming along..Cody says that Carter must be feeling a little more comfortable with his skills cause now he stands and tries to turn his direction..which is new.
As my mom says, Carter is here with us! How amazing is this little man! Which when I heard my mom tell someone this yesterday, a flood gate of memories opened for me. When I was 24 wks pregnant, we were given all this bad news...My baby (Carter) may not walk, talk, or do much of anything. I remember them asking me if I wanted to "go through with this"...3 times they gave me an option of aborting Carter...For a second it actually processed through my brain..but it is not my right to take his life..If the good Lord kept his lungs full of oxygen, his heart beating, etc...he had a purpose..Carter HAS a purpose in life and one day will have a heck of a testimony! It upsets me to think of life without my Carter..He brings sooooooo much joy to my life and because of him I feel much more compassion to others..My eyes are opened wider because of what we have been through so far with Carter.
Just a month ago I had a woman tell me (I will call her anonymous) that things will "Always be hard for Carter"...It greatly angered and upset me...How does she know this? She has only heard hearsay..She doesnt know my Carter, only met him a couple of times briefly. She has no idea about ACC and how different it is for each person..My main thought..I am not going to have Carter growing up and hearing about things that he cannot do..He doesnt know any different at this point..and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with him..God made us all different and unique...Carter is happy, healthy, and learning...learning things every day..His brain is really working hard...I love the progress that I am seeing!

2 comments:

  1. Poo on that lady, Carter has the whole world in front of him to take a hold of and hwe will do as much and go as far as our BIG God has planned for him. No more and no less!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess! You inspire me... I personally think that Carter is absolutely amazing. And like you said, things will NOT be harder for Carter...he doesn't know any different. He IS a blessing and so are you, Cody, and Camden. I thank God for giving Carter such wonderful parents!!
    You're doing a great job honey!

    Megs

    ReplyDelete