Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Battle of the Brain...

You have heard this expression, yes? Well me too. I have a different take on this phrase than many though. Let me explain.
This morning started out early, Camden slept the entire night however was up @ 4:30! A little early, but hey I didnt have to wake up in the night so I brewed some coffee and started my day. Cody came out of the room around 5:30 with Carter..talking about how Carter had been awake also and so he figured they just as well get up with us. Carter fell back asleep on Daddy once they came into the living room...He slept..normal because it was early. Well, by 6:15 he wasnt acting himself. He had that 'distant' look in his eyes and when I saw it I had the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach. You see when there is a battle of the brain in our house, thats just what it is. With the extra CSF fluid in Carter's head, you just never know what can happen and when. All Carter wanted to do this morning was lay down, whine, not let daddy go, cry, sleep, etc. Not good. We checked his temp, normal @ 97-98. Okay, Cody and I decided not to freak out, hard when its OUR son and this has happened countless numbers of times with him. We hate seeing our son go through these things. So, after deciding not to jump the gun, Carter threw up. Cody said "Okay, we are going (Omaha)"...but as we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off, Carter begins to act better. That is the point we have been at for a few hours. He hasnt gotten sick again and has been acting completely himself. Now we wait with all eyes glued to him.
As I was busy preparing to go to Omaha, all I could do was cry. I look at Carter, the miracle he is, and still wonder WHY MY SON? Why Carter!!!!!!!!!? I really dont understand why he has to go through all this, why he had to be born with fluid on his brain? Why the shunt malfunctions? Why Lord?! I plead with God to take away all health issues and to just completely and 100% heal my son. It is the worst feeling when there is nothing you can do to help. Oh how I love my son Carter (and Camden too!)..Please keep Carter in your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. You know I'm praying hon, God be with our little boy. There are so many people on this earth that love him, and want to take his pain away. Please help him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to how you feel as a parent.Yet, I can testify to the fact that God is in control and He does know what He is doing. My "little girl" was prepared through her tough time of unconventional learning for the life the Lord has prepared for her. She has brought joy to many. I see the same future for Carter, no matter how God leads him there. Don't forget our lives are not just randomly happening. God planned each of us before we were even born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry Graves and FamilyMay 3, 2010 at 6:50 PM

    Cody, Jess, Carter and Camden.
    You are ALL in our prayers daily, I cant wait to see you all again when you get up to church.
    God Bless and keep you strong,
    Larry Graves

    ReplyDelete