Carter's Story

My photo
This blog is a look into the life of our nearly six year old little boy, Carter. When I was just six months pregnant, an ultrasound detected that Carter's brain was missing its corpus callosum and he also had hydrocephalus. Doctors even told us that our little boy may not walk, talk, etc... but abortion was never a choice for us because we firmly believe that God does not make junk. We look at Carter now and praise God for the miracle he is! Carter loves to play, and he CAN walk and talk! Carter is continually proving himself to us, to our families and to his teachers. I have been priveleged to be able to stay home with Carter, Camden and Elliana since November of 2006 when Carter was born. I am so thankful I am here to hold his hand and face his challenges right along side of him. A mother's love only grows, this I know. Some days may be challenging but always worth it at the end of the day.

Carter

Carter
Born November 20, 2006

Thursday, November 1, 2012

My little transitional kindergartener!

I was reminded last night at our church's Fall Blast, that I had a blog...it had been THAT long since I have updated Carters blog. And wow has ALOT changed! The last time I wrote in here Carter wasnt quite even 5! Now, here in less than three weeks he will be 6! Carter started transitional kindergarten this year. Its his third year in school as he had two years in preschool. TK is like a 1/2 step up from preschool and a 1/2 step down from regular kindergarten. I just went two days ago to the school for Carters annual IEP/ parent teacher conferences. We set goals for the upcoming school year and I also learned about the progress he is making so far this year since school started! I was SO pleased to hear that he is making strides at school and that "he is a different kid" compared to last year! He focuses better, works harder and says some pretty great things! The difference from last year to this year is that Carter is no longer on any neurological medicines! He doesnt seemed dopey like he did last year. Cody and I decided in May that we were going to take that leap of faith and get him off the medicines that obviously werent working, as he would still have pain cries here and there. It made more sense to have our alert little boy with a few pain cries (usually last under 10 seconds) than a medicine filled little boy with pain cries. Carter has surpassed all his PT goals for the year as of a few weeks ago and so we set goals to work on his gracefulness (ex: standing still in line, not bumping into other kids or things)..His PT doesnt feel like she has to be at his heels like before (except if he goes up way high on the playground @ recess). As far as OT goes, that is probably where we need the most prayers. He HAS made progress but still is unable to fully dress himself, put on/take off his on shoes, do buttons, etc. He is doing pretty well with scissors I am told though and knows that scissors are 'serious business'! :) We set goals for dressing himself and also for writing/tracing lowercase letters. I (the momma) am dreaming of the day he can write his name! What a glorious day that will be, and I KNOW that it WILL happen! As far as speech goes, Carter is doing pretty well! He says some pretty funny things at times..I actually quit recording things in his baby book because he can say pretty much everything, we just are praying that he would develop an understanding for more. His comprehension is really great tho, in my opinion. Carter can recite lots of Thomas the Train narrations and songs which leads me to also believe hes got a great memory for things he loves! One struggle we still do have is toilet training though. Would you please pray for Carter to have an understanding of this? Its getting really hard to diaper a 5 year old who weighs in at 69 pounds. We have used incentivising, quarters towards new trains and I was instructed by Cody to not buy any more train items until he is using the bathroom regularly...but to be able to reach this goal he first needs to master the goal of buttons, snaps and zippers on his pants..so pray for that as well. Thank you all for your continued prayers. We are very much encouraged by Carters progress later and know that everything is in God's hands! In that we can rest easy. One last thing, you all should know. I requested his neurosurgeon to do an MRI this year as his last one was at birth (he had only had CT scans) and we learned that Carters midline of his brain never formed normally..What does that mean you are probably thinking? I am told it means he really IS a miracle. I had 2 different doctors, both who have been practicing since the 1970's, tell me that he SHOULDNT be doing all the things he is doing...walking, talking, etc..That might go on without any thought some days but then other days it really hits me..HE shouldnt be doing those things, but HE IS! My little happy man who didnt walk til 2 1/2 is walking, in fact he runs! My little jibber jabber is narrating, is asking questions, is telling people happy halloween, singing Happy Birthday (in full), saying prayers before he eats, saying prayers before he goes to bed, telling me what he wants to eat, reminding me that he gets a treat after his growth hormone shot, and the list goes on. Hes totally 'with it'. Hes our miracle..I am beyond amazed at my Carter and if you would know him (or maybe you do), you would be amazed too. Nothing is impossible, just may require a little more time, patience and effort!

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, you inspire me every time I read got posts. I just read this update to my seven year old daughter, Kylee. Her response, "So he is a miracle?!". Then proceeded to ask if God would make London Lara, a baby being born today with anencephaly, a miracle. Just know you family inspires others! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete